Friday, September 25, 2009

Soldier Boy

Soldier Boy
Soldier Boy," "The Jerk,"or any of the other latest dances, Washington is going to bust another move. "I will never stop until my last play is up," said Washington, in his seventh season. "When I retire, and guys do something big in a game, I will dance for them." Because this is Baltimore, and we're old school. We'll let you dance a little if you score a touchdown, or if you have a couple of Pro Bowl years. But after downing a punt? Oh, no, please. Never in the brief history of the Ravens has there been so much controversy over a player dancing. Ray Lewis dances. Derrick Mason dances, if you can call it that. So why can't Washington dance? Whether he dances or not, there is a perception about Washington that is wrong. There is this image of a flamboyant, arrogant player who struts and prances because his ego is out of control. Washington is very low-key, soft-spoken and well-liked by his teammates. During training camp, he got fans excited, especially the kids, by doing his little dances. He often stayed late to sign autographs, and for a first-year player in Baltimore, he does a lot of charity work around town.
"I think this dancing thing is getting blown out of proportion," Washington said. "It's not about dancing, but celebrating a big play for your team. I get excited. I've always been that type of player. I'm not trying to show up another team; it's just my way of getting myself and our team going." "It's Kelley, man," Mason said. "He's out there - he's enjoying football, and he's having fun. He's found himself a niche on this team where he can go out there, not only on special teams, but he's coming out there and being a big contributor for us on offense, especially when he comes out on third down and he's making those huge catches for us." "On the field, I look at myself as an entertainer, somebody who plays for the crowd," he said. "As a kid, I idolized guys who played to the crowds and got them into the game." There is no debate about Washington's contributions. He came into training camp trying to make the team as one of possibly five or six receivers, and he has worked his way to No. 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment