Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Robert Henson

Robert Henson
Robert Henson's stall during Monday's open locker room session, and a PR staffer hovered nearby. Eventually, it was decided that the backup linebacker would address the media after team meetings, making him the last player to talk to the media on this day. Above a dozen reporters gathered around him, and one jokingly said "this is exciting," since Henson doesn't usually attract such a crowd. And then, he apologized for his multiple Tweets directed at fans following Sunday's win, which had prompted a strong reaction from some fans and analysts. "I understand the weight that my words carried and how I offended some fans, and for that again I apologize," Henson said. "I updated my Twitter, updated everything else, every other social network I was on, saying that I apologize, and not because I'm scared, but just because it was the right thing to do. And I sincerely apologize to all the fans. I hope to have a long, prosperous career here, and I don't want anybody booing me or being negative towards me. Because if you seen me in training camp, I sat out there for hours signing autographs, because I love to do this, and the fans are really what keep me going."
"I think Robert knows he made a mistake," Daniels said. "He's young, and sometimes you say things you don't mean. You're arguing with a person on there, and you don't realize that everybody can see what you're saying, and then things get bad. I've had this happen before, a guy said something about fans when I was in Chicago, I think he said something about the fans and everything went bad for him. But at the same time, I think Robert's young, he ain't played yet, he's got to realize that the fans actually pay your salary. They come to the games, they support us. They just want production. They just want us to put more points on a team like the Rams." He said several older teammates had talked to him on Monday, explaining where he went wrong. Phillip Daniels saw Henson's comments on Sunday night and said he immediately began shaking his head, knowing what would come next. Daniels said he hopes fans won't hold this episode against Henson. DeAngelo Hall, who's been active on Twitter himself, said that players need to be honest in social media settings, but shouldn't write when they're emotional. He also said Henson doesn't have enough of a name to be sounding off.
"I don't think he's done enough in this league to be out here talking [junk] about anything," Hall said. "He probably shouldn't have said those exact words, but I'm a firm believer that a person can say what they want to say if it's honest, if it's true. Don't just be talking to be talking." Henson had written on Twitter that objects were thrown at him on the field, but he declined to provide specifics on Monday. Several other players said they hadn't seen any such behavior from fans, but other players had heard similar reports. And they all heard the booing. "I'd have booed us too," Hall said. "I felt like booing us, with that [nonsense] we put out there. It was a win, but it was [nonsense]." Washington Redskins rookie linebacker Robert Henson has apologized for calling the team's fans "dim wits" on his Twitter feed. He says Monday he updated his Twitter and Facebook accounts to apologize "not because I'm scared, but just because it was the right thing to do." Home fans booed the Redskins often Sunday during a 9-7 victory over the St. Louis Rams. Afterward, Henson tweeted: "All you fake half hearted Skins fan can .. I won't go there but I dislike you very strongly, don't come to Fed Ex to boo dim wits!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment