Saturday, June 13, 2009

Cotto fight

Cotto (33-1, 27 KOs) is the favorite and the biggest story as he battles to move beyond a tabloid-like split with trainer Evangelista Cotto and doubts that still linger in the wake of his lone loss to Antonio Margarito. For Cotto, it's like trying to hit the re-start button. If he wins and wins big, he reaffirms his pound-for-pound credentials and solidifies his claim on a shot at Manny Pacquiao. I like Cotto to win. But I have doubts about whether it will be as big a victory as he needs for an immediate date with Pacquiao, who sometimes sounds as if he would prefer to go straight to Floyd Mayweather Jr., a good bet to beat Juan Manuel Marquez on July 18.

Clottey (35-2, 20 KOs), a big and rugged welterweight, is a good defensive fighter and possesses the kind of durability that seems to say that this one will go to the scorecards. I like Cotto for taking on a tough challenge, and perhaps that's a sign he will prove me wrong with the brilliance I saw in him against Shane Mosley and Zab Judah. In fact, that's the Cotto I hope to see.
If there is such a thing as a fighter's fighter, Cotto is that guy. Stoic, versatile and smart, he has a solid, almost subtle, command of fundamental tactics. Like Clottey, he is known for moving forward. Like Clottey, he is known for body shots. But I suspect Cotto also knows how to do a whole lot more.
"They have to be prepared for everything," Cotto said in an unspoken promise that he will be. "If they want to hold the whole fight, I am prepared for that. If they want to chase me, I have those skills to move in the ring. If they want me to chase them, I know how to do that. But there is nagging uncertainty, mostly because Clottey remains a relative unknown, despite a resume that includes a victory over Judah and two losses that are hard to judge. In 1999, Clottey was beating Carlos Baldomir before a strange 11th round. That's when Clottey's purpose and poise, often evident with the media, suddenly vanished. A succession of head butts got him disqualified.

No comments:

Post a Comment