Monday, July 13, 2009

Drop Dead Diva

‘Drop Dead Diva’, and am still thinking about whether I am irritated or impressed. Full figured (God, I hate that term!) role models are great, no doubt about it, but can you really center an entire season around the premise that going from skinny to fat is a step down? Or am I misinterpreting, and are my own misconceptions so deeply rooted that I am actually part of the target audience? Do I need to be taught a lesson about the fact that what is on the inside is what matters?
If that is the case, I better preset my DVR and watch the entire season. Which is exactly what I plan on doing; ‘Drop Dead Diva’ is just enough like ‘Legally Blonde’ to have me hooked, and I’m already completely charmed by its leading actress, Brooke Elliott. I have no doubt my daughter will love it, in spite of the legalese, which is extremely boring when you’re seven.
I guess I want my daughter to grow up knowing that weight says very little about who you are. Being skinny does not make you popular, being overweight does not make you a loser. There, I said it: too many people still treat overweight people as if they have a screw loose. As if they have no self-control, they have no self-esteem; as if they have no chance at a promotion unless they sign up for Jenny Craig. Fast. And nobody wants to take a fat girl to the prom.

No comments:

Post a Comment